Wednesday 31 March 2010

Hmmmm. C41 Developing at home?

So, I've been reading on the interweb about these. Press kits for the travelling photographer doing their own C41 development.

I've shot the first 3 rolls now and I've got a few other rolls knocking about (see post below), but because I can't find a good cheap mini lab around here haven't taken them to get developed yet. There is an extremely good lab I use here but at 65 DKK (c.£8) a roll it's a bit much for random experimentation (I'm too poor for this). Still, I'm happy to go there for slide rolls from the Hasselblad and important stuff I really care about, but not for this project. The last time I used the cheapy lab around the corner my rolls came back both filthy and scratched to buggery so I'm not going there again.

So: These kits look pretty easy according to the technical data- shouldn't be any harder than doing B&W at home (which i do profusely already). The important thing seems to be temperature control- the chems need to be at 38ÂșC (ish). Should be pretty easy to heat them under a hot tap tho. The kit'll do 12 rolls and costs £17ish. Magic! Apparently it lasts for 4 weeks but according to my researches it lasts longer if you're not fussy about colour-shifts. I'm not. Bring it on I say!

Further reading:
I'm going to buy a couple of packs when I'm back in the UK next week so should have something to report soon (finally). I'll also try to get through a couple of rolls while I'm there of Glasgow looking grotty and Argyll looking rainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment